Mariae Himmelfahrt, Hallgarten
The Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary was built in several different phases, and incorporates elements from the Romanesque, Gothic, Baroque and Neogothic styles. The oldest sections, like the fortified square tower and parts of the north walls, date from the 12th century, and originally belonged to a small Romanesque edifice. Over the course of centuries, the church was repeatedly rebuilt and expanded. Between 1330 and 1338, the church was given its own vicar for the first time. The remains of the Baroque decoration and the Neogothic altars were destroyed in 1965 in an excess of zeal by the then vicar. But visitors to the church are all the more impressed by the still-extant sacral adornments. Chief among them, of course, the famous devotional picture – the Hallgarten Madonna with the wine pitcher.