Alte Lokhalle, Mainz
Built in 1903, the old locomotive shed was originally used for maintenance work on the steam engines. Even back then, it impressed onlookers with its characteristic circular shape, and the red, dressed sandstone cladding. In the 1940s, the shed was closed down, and from then on used as a warehouse. Extensive modification work has finally given the historic edifice a new contemporary look: the striking window arches were opened up, the roof and its supporting structure refurbished, air-conditioning and ventilation systems installed, and a new flooring laid. This produced an impressive edifice that draws its distinctive appeal from a masterful synthesis of railway romanticism and industrial utility.
Today, the old locomotive shed (now a listed building), with an area of almost 1,500 square metres, is exclusively available for events of all kinds: from galas and concerts, conferences and trade fairs, all the way through to product and project presentations.
- The Alte Lokhalle have more than 400 free car parking spaces in the immediate vicinity.
- More parking spaces are available in the surrounding area.
- Trucks and coaches can likewise be parked at the opposite of the Alte Lokhalle.
- At interchange Wiesbadener Kreuz take the A66 in direction Schiersteiner Kreuz
- At interchange Schiersteiner Kreuz take A643 in direction Mainz
- Take the Mainz-Mombach exit in direction Mainz-Innenstadt (city centre)
- Take the second exit from the roundabout into Rheinallee
- Turn right into Zwerchallee
- Turn left into Mombacher Straße
- Bus line 45 - bus stop Alte Lokhalle
- Bus line 60, 62 and 92 - bus stop Zwerchallee
- Tram line 50 and 51 - bus stop Zwerchallee
- From there you can reach the Alte Lokhalle in 2 minutes by foot.