1903, nine years after the Ringkirche had been consecrated, the United Protestant Congregations of Wiesbaden decided to build a fourth Protestant church in their city. The architectural competition for building the Lutherkirche was won by Friedrich Pützer. The jury’s verdict: “The ground plan of this design is innovative, and promises to create an exceptionally beautiful interior, plus in all probability good acoustics as well. (...) The design achieves an impressive architectural effect by comparatively simple means, and can be regarded as a significant step forward on the path to advancing Protestant church architecture.” The first sod was turned in August 1908, and by Christmas 1910 the church had been completed. Renovated in 1992, the art nouveau ensemble still ranks among Wiesbaden’s most important buildings.
- There is room for parking on the premises of the Gutenberg School, which is located on the opposite of the church (access from Mosbacher Straße) and in the adjoining streets.
- On A 66 take exit Wiesbaden, Mainzer Straße
- Turn left into 1. Ring in direction Bahnhof / Innenstadt
- Pass the Central Station and the Landeshaus
- Then turn left into Gutenberglatz
- Bus stop Wiesbaden, Hauptbahnhof