Logo

St. Martinus, Hattersheim

© Ansgar Klostermann

Description

The Catholic parish church of St. Martinus is located in the middle of the old village centre and is also at its highest point (330 ft above sea level). There was already a chapel here back in the Middle Ages, and subsequently the parish church. The present-day place of worship was created in two periods of construction: the small Baroque church with its ridge turret was integrated as the south transept into the Neo-Roman triple-nave. St. Martinus is today a very beautiful, spacious and light-filled place of worship, skilfully marrying Baroque, Roman and Art Nouveau elements (e.g.: cupola, architectural sculpture). The village-scape is dominated by the approximately 200-foot-high church tower with its triple windows and its superelevated, double-arched cupola.

Of the original glass windows, (painted by August Martin, Wiesbaden), it is above all the chancel’s own windows with the 7 sacraments that have been preserved. No less notable are the three aged altars: the Virgin Mary Altar (1915), the High Altar and the Sacred Heart Altar (1930), all from the Eltville workshop of Hans Steinlein.

The organ (originally from 1936), now, following several modifications, features 35 stops on 3 manuals and pedal. The action is electro-pneumatic, the sound oriented on Late Romanticism.

Parking

  • You can park at the station under the Hessendamm and at Karl-Eckel-Weg.

Journey

From the Rhine-Main area:

  • A66 in direction Wiesbaden
  • Take exit Hattersheim-Stadtmitte
  • Turn left into Hofheimer Straße
  • Continue straight ahead on Lindenstraße
  • Turn left into Weingartenstraße
  • Turn left into Hauptstraße
  • Turn right into Erbsengasse

Aus dem Rheintal:

  • B42 / A66 in direction Wiesbaden
  • Take exit Hattersheim-Stadtmitte
  • Then continue on Hofheimer Straße
  • Then continue on Lindenstraße
  • Turn left into Weingartenstraße
  • Turn left into Hauptstraße
  • Turn right into Erbsengasse

Station

  • Bus stop Hattersheim (Main)